Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 14:54:22 -0700

> There's one problem in the current list: it doesn't seem to take into
> account the status of the related bugs. Here are a few entries from bugs
> that have already been closed:

At the present time, I have no way of automating the connection between the
debbugs tracker and the patchwork server. It *could* be done, using the
pwclient utility on the debbugs server to close related issues, but I'm afraid
it's not a switch I can turn on today. :(

>> Every patch sent -- either on emacs-devel or bug-gnu-emacs -- is captured
>> by this server and assigned a ticket number. Note: these are not *issue
>> tickets*, but *patch tickets*, one for each patch, even if multiple patches
>> are submitted for a single bug[2].

> Could they be grouped somehow? Most of the time, the next patch submitted to
> a bug report supersedes the previous one.

I haven't seen any way to do that yet, and it might not be true that there is
always exactly one patch per bug that is the correct one. For now, determining
this will be a job of the patch worker.

Btw, glibc apparently uses Patchwork as well. They've even documented their
workflow with it:

    https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Patch%20Review%20Workflow