Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 00:45:41 +0300

Hey John,

On 04/24/2016 12:22 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

Largely this is because we have so many of them: 435 this year, so far. And no
one (besides myself, who has been fully derelict in this duty) is currently
dedicated to ensuring that each of these patches receives due attention.
Unless someone with commit access has a particular interest in attending to a
patch right away, it generally fades into history.

I would like to change this state of affairs by asking for a core of
volunteers who are willing to champion patches, and ensure that they go
through a process of review before being either rejected or applied.

To assist this effort, I've connected our mailing lists with a service running
on my own VPS (for now) called "Patchwork"[1]:

    http://patchwork.newartisans.com/

This is great. I will try it sometime.

There's one problem in the current list: it doesn't seem to take into account the status of the related bugs. Here are a few entries from bugs that have already been closed:

http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/538/
http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/565/
http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/553/

Shouldn't they have a different status, at least?

Every patch sent -- either on emacs-devel or bug-gnu-emacs -- is captured by
this server and assigned a ticket number. Note: these are not *issue tickets*,
but *patch tickets*, one for each patch, even if multiple patches are
submitted for a single bug[2].

Could they be grouped somehow? Most of the time, the next patch submitted to a bug report supersedes the previous one.

Best regards,
Dmitry.