Re: Default compiler optimization level for building dev sources

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Default compiler optimization level for building dev sources
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 22:18:42 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm using Emacs 25.0.92 on Windows and it seems remarkably slower than the
>> previous binary. This one was built with a plain config && make while the
>> previous one had CFLAGS set to -O3 and other extra optimization flags.
>
> What flavor of slowness do you experience?

Certain operations which used to take a somewhat annoying long time now
are almost unbearable. Mostly Magit-related.

> One thing I've noticed with 25.0.92 and OS X is that Emacs 25 can be very
> "pausy". That is, I'll do something (even just switch buffers), and suddenly
> Emacs is locked for about 5-10 seconds, with absolutely no indication before
> or after of what is happening.  Maybe it's GC?

I see something like this on VMs, but for now I tend to attribute the
problem to the VM itself, not to Emacs proper.

> Especially with ERC, this is quite noticeable because it happens in the middle
> of a conversation. In Emacs 24 I never experienced this much stalling (just a
> little bit).
>
> However, this has been impossible to track down thus far; but I wonder if what
> you're seeing is at all similar.

I don't think so. The problems I observe are more related to a general
slow down than to occassional unresponsiveness.