Re: Build failure for Emacs master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Build failure for Emacs master
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:41:04 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:55:36 +0100
>
> That the problem is occuring during generation of loaddefs.el is a red
> herring I think. loaddefs.el is fine (although empty except for the
> header). I'm guessing that ja-dic.el is loaded for the first time during
> the loaddefs.el generation.
>
> ja-dic.el looks like it has some serious encoding problems.

What encoding problems do you see there?  I see none: it loads as a
UTF-8 file with DOS EOLs.  What do you see?

Is your Git set up to not convert EOLs?  nt/INSTALL has this to say
about that:

  During Git installation, be sure to select the "Checkout as-is,
  commit as-is" option from the "Configure line ending conversions"
  dialog.  Otherwise, Git will convert text files to DOS-style CRLF
  end-of-line (EOL) format, which will cause subtle problems when
  building Emacs, because MSYS tools (see below) used to build Emacs
  use binary file I/O that preserves the CR characters that get in the
  way of some text-processing tools, like 'makeinfo' and the commands
  invoked by the autogen.sh script.

  If you already have Git installed and configured with some other EOL
  conversion option, you will need to reconfigure it, removing the
  following variables from all of your .gitconfig files:

    core.eol
    core.safecrlf
    core.autocrlf

  If you cloned the Emacs directory before changing these config
  variables, you will have to delete the repository and re-clone it
  after the change.