Re: Your latest commits on emacs-25

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Your latest commits on emacs-25
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 18:47:01 -0700

> There has been much churn over what the purpose of the branches are, the
> rationale of which was neither explained nor clarified on the relevant
> thread on which I specifically recall mentioning what the status quo was and
> asking why it was being changed. It is pretty irritating to be jumped on for
> what are perhaps the least intrusive pushes of those I have made recently.

I hope I can clarify the current purpose of our branches:

  emacs-25: We're preparing this for release, so everyone should be very
  cautious. Even a safe fix, if not necessary, should go to master now.

  master: Work toward Emacs 26. Most changes should go here, but new API
  changes and new functionality should still not be introduced without some
  discussion on this list.

  feature branches: Commit anything you like, for review by others on this
  list.

When it comes to emacs-25, it's not that your change was improper, it's just
that a question was raised, and so it needed to be addressed.

I apologize if it sounded like you were being jumped on, that was not the
intent. It was purely out of caution for this branch -- a caution that will
continue to intensify as we approach the hopeful target of June 21.