Re: Building Emacs on MSYS2

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs on MSYS2
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 23:03:10 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 21:40:55 +0200
>
> Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 04/15/2016 10:58 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> >> Which is irrelevant for the user who builds Emacs, isn't it?
> >
> > Yes, and this supports Eli's point. Generally speaking, it's better to
> > keep the MSYS2 build simple so that it tracks mainline Emacs
> > development.
>
> Why? The MSYS2 build for emacs-git (or any other package) is configured
> for the MSYS2 user's convenience, as per the best judgement of the
> PKGBUILD author.

If there are problems in the upstream build procedure that fail to
account for some use case, that use case should be brought to the
project's attention, so that the maintainers could decide if and how
they'd like to support that use case.  Deviating from the upstream
build procedure without talking with the project is not a good idea,
IMO.  Especially so since quite a few people who use the deviant
procedure are active participants in emacs-devel discussions and
report bugs, which could well be (and in fact were in the past found
to be) the result of the deviation.

> Neither you nor I agree with that decision, but that's a different
> topic. Maybe the author knows something that we ignore. Or maybe he is
> simply imposing his personal preferences and prejudices. We don't know.

All I say is that I urge people to use the official build procedure.
If you or someone else wants to talk to the author, or invite him/her
to discuss this here, that's a bonus.

Thanks.