Re: Building Emacs on MSYS2

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Building Emacs on MSYS2
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 15:42:15 -0400

> I was just saying that Emacs wide integers are the default on 64 bit
> platforms.

No: --with-wide-int was introduced so that Emacs can use integers which
are twice the size of pointers (at the cost of making Lisp_Object twice
the size, hence wasting space for all non-integer values).  I.e. on
a 64bit system, this would mean that the Lisp_Object type is 128bit
wide, which would be a waste.

Luckily for that script you quoted, on 64bit hosts, we basically
ignore --with-wide-int, so even though it goes to extra trouble to
set --with-wide-int on amd64 we disregard this "preposterous request".

        Stefan