SCSS parser ideas

From: Etienne Prud'homme
Subject: SCSS parser ideas
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 16:51:54 -0400

Since I study in the field of Front-End web development, I find it sad
that Emacs lacks features that would otherwise be included in other
text-editors.

One feature that is lacking is discovering SCSS variable values. I’m
thinking something like Eldoc is doing for function declarations in C
or Emacs lisp.

Given that SCSS is a Preprocessor, it’s possible to evaluate a variable
by simply parsing a file. Unless a file changes, a variable will always
stay the same.

I made a basic prototype parser in elisp that did a hash map of all
variable declarations from a buffer. However, I don’t think it’s
suitable in the long-term.

Since I’ve got no experience in grammar parsing implementation, I was
wondering if it could be worth making a CEDET Semantic SCSS parser
(and thus CSS one). It would give much more flexibility. We could
include variables from other files, functions and mixins support or
even a CSS tree structure of a project.

Best regards,