Re: Checking in files with trailing white space

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Checking in files with trailing white space
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:05:11 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Another possibility is to design your own escape convention for
> trailing white space and remove it just before the test.  You could
> strip backslash just before newline, say.  This will be more robust in
> the presence of tools that routinely strip trailing white space.

I kinda wanted to keep the HTML files and the results as close to the
input/output from eww as possible.  That is, you can just say `M-x
eww-open-file' on the HTML test files and twiddle the shr code until it
looks right, and then you copy the output to the .txt file.

That's a really convenient way to create the regression test cases.

> If you do keep trailing whitespace, please check that it survives
> editing the file by an Emacs configured something like this:
>
> (setq whitespace-action '(auto-cleanup))
> (setq whitespace-style '(trailing empty))
> (global-whitespace-mode t)
>
> as this is how I edit Emacs source code.

Yeah, the files do not survive editing with those values.

> I assume you can do this by setting local variables in the affected
> files.

I've never played around with local variables in text files.  Can these
local variables be put into a dot file of some kind?