Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 15:01:53 -0400

  > All the code it runs is MIT or GPL licensed, it seems.

"MIT licensed" is an ambiguous term, which we should avoid: see
http://gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.  But you must mean
it carries some lax, permissive free license.

If all the code is in fact free, the proble could be fixed by putting
the appropriate license notices on the JS files (plus source pointers,
in any minified files).

But it does need to be actually fixed, before we can refer to it.  If
a page uses Javascript that LibreJS can't recognize as free, and if
that Javascript is _necessary_ for the page to serve its purpose,
we can't link to it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman