Re: pre-test windows binaries

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: pre-test windows binaries
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 09:15:35 +0000 (UTC)

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord <at> russet.org.uk> writes:

> Drew Adams <drew.adams <at> oracle.com> writes:
> >> And all .el files are gzipped when installed by default.
> >
> > "Installed"?  What does that mean for you?  Perhaps you are
> > assuming that what it means for you is what it means for
> > everyone?
>
> I think it means "running make install".
>
> If we believe that files should not be gzipped by default on windows
> (and I agree with you that they should not be), then perhaps this
option
> needs to default to off when build on windows. As it stands, the
> windows zip files I have made are not using the default options in a
> couple of ways.

Albit I found it strange at first, I don't see why we should make
Windows a special case. Both .el and .info files are gzipped when
running 'make install', but this transparent when you visit them.
So there is no need to bother.

Try: M-x find-library , then files and the file visited is files.el.gz
in clear.

> I have a similar question about --with-wide-int. I've build the x86_64
> binaries with this option on, but I am not clear whether this is a
good
> thing to do or not.

This option should be a no-op for a 64 bits build.

Fabrice