Re: A vision for multiple major modes [was: Re: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limi

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: A vision for multiple major modes [was: Re: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66:]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 22:58:44 +0100

> To transcend the "unwanted widen" problem, there will be a very special
> variable `restrict-to-island' or `restrict-to-span',

A second type of narrowing. That is what Stefan was insisting upon and that's
what I will provide next patch for.

> Although the above vision implies a lot of development work, there is
> nothing there which is beyond our abilities to implement readily.  It
> would give us a true multi major mode capability, yet the impact on
> individual major modes would be minimal.

A lot of development work is already happening in various generic multi-mode
engines. It's hard, but feasible and stuff mostly works without changing any of
the existing code. Making parse-partial-sexp understand islands won't give
much. You can already do that well enough by advising syntax-ppss.

  Vitalie