RE: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66: Implement buffer-widen-limits fu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66: Implement buffer-widen-limits functionality
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 17:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

> > Why does "widening" need a separate set of limits?
>
> Because in multi-modes most of critical operations such as syntax parsing,
> syntax-propertize, font-locking and indentations inside submodes occurs in
> narrowed regions. That is, sub-mode is placed in a bubble. The problem is
> that that buble is easy to escape with widening. These extra limits are
> intended to make that escape impossible (at least till the sub-mode start
> using those hard limits itself).

Thanks for the explanation.  I think I see what you are trying to do.

I don't see why changing `widen' would be the only, or necessarily
the best, way to meet that need (which is essentially to make a
sub-mode treat given bounds as if they were the buffer limits).

But you answered my question.  Thank you.