Re: Very happy with emacs-25 so far

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Very happy with emacs-25 so far
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 20:37:47 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 10:52:09 -0700
>
> > What is the purpose of marking them as blocking the release if we don't
> > really mean that?
>
> Marking a bug as blocking the release does not mean we won't release, because
> this would put our release schedule in the hands of anyone capable of setting
> such a mark.

We can unset it as easily as someone can set it.  And I don't think we
should consider this possibility, since it's very unlikely to happen.
The current marks are not done by someone as malicious as that.

> What it does mean is: prior to cutting a release tarball, we will have
> addressed each bug, where by "address" we mean:
>
>   1. Fix it, or
>   2. Defer it to 25.2, or
>   3. Re-categorize as not really blocking

Fixing bugs might not be a 1-sec job, to say nothing of the need to
test the fixed version in yet another pretest.  So I wouldn't
recommend delaying that till just before the release.

> It sounds like several of our current "blockers" should not have been marked
> such, so it looks like a bug review is in order. I'll put it on my schedule to
> go through these and see which ones truly should not ship in 25.1.

That's exactly my point: we should decide _today_ which one are truly
blocking, and then make all the necessary effort, starting with
tomorrow, to fix those which are.