Re: pre-test windows binaries

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: pre-test windows binaries
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:42:38 +0000

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Thanks, but please unzip the source files (e.g., in directory lisp
>> > and its subdirs).
>>
>> Not sure what you are after here. This directory structure is the result
>> of "make install". It's the same directory structure as the 24.4 and
>> 24.5 binaries, neither of which include source.
>>
>> I do have some doubts about this structure (see
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22935), but is the current
>> standard.
>>
>> Or, am I mis-understanding?
>
> I have downloaded 24.4, 24.5 (and all of the other releases, back to
> Emacs 22).  The Lisp files in all cases are not zipped.

Oh, okay, no I understand. I thought you wanted me to add the source
tarball to the binary zip, which doesn't make sense to me.

> Your overall archive of all of the directories is a zip archive, but
> the individual Lisp files are not zipped - just as the .elc files are
> not zipped.  Please treat .el the same way as .elc: do not zip.  Thx.
>
> A few of the Lisp files are unzipped, but most are zipped.
>
> These are the only ones in directory lisp/ that are not zipped:
> cus-load.el, finder-inf.el, ldefs-boot.el, loadup.el, subdirs.el.

> In directory lisp/calc/, the only one that is unzipped is
> calc-loaddefs.el.  In lisp/calendar/ the only ones unzipped are:
> cal-loaddefs.el, diary-loaddefs.el, and hol-loaddefs.el.

Yes, these ones are auto-generated, and not byte-compiled. The install
task only gzips those which are byte-compiled.

I didn't do this explicitly -- it's just the default behaviour of make
install. But you are right, I should disable this as Emacs can only open
these if there is a local gzip. I guess this is why you want it this
way?

Phil