Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 26b56dc: Fix some single quotes in documentat

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 26b56dc: Fix some single quotes in documentation
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:11:08 -0700

On 03/15/2016 04:13 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>There is plenty of precedent for straight quoting in other text files
>in Emacs, as well as in etc/NEWS itself before today's changes
Is that because you changed `this' into curly quotes

No, I first changed etc/NEWS to use straight quotes, and switched to curved quotes only after what I understood to be John's suggestion to that effect. However, later discussion indicated that straight quotes were more popular, so I switched back.

Although grave quotes are popular Emacs source code they have never been the only style for all text, and straight quotes (though of course not perfect) are a better choice for plain text intended for users.

There is longstanding precedent for using straight quotes in some Emacs news items. It's not just etc/NEWS before the recent round of changes; for example, the NEWS entry for Emacs 1.4 (in etc/NEWS.1-17), circa 1985, uses straight quotes for its only quoted string, presumably to distinguish the quotes from the grave accents elsewhere in the entry.

It shouldn't be a problem for users if NEWS uses straight quotes from here on out.