Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:30:11 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 13:03:38 -0700
>
> What's the likelihood that the numbers in the above test will
> change?

Zero, given the UTC's stability policy.

But note that Unicode 9.0.0 adds another range of Ideographs similar
to CJK, their names begin with "TANGUT IDEOGRAPH-".

> > +        /* 200 characters is hopefully long enough.  Increase if
> > +           not.  */
> > +        char name[200];
>
> Give a name to this constant, e.g.,
>
> /* Bound on the length of a Unicode character name.
>     As of Unicode 9.0.0 the maximum is 83, so this should be safe. */
> enum { UNICODE_CHARACTER_NAME_LENGTH_BOUND = 199 };
>     char name[UNICODE_CHARACTER_NAME_LENGTH_BOUND + 1];

Perhaps we should ask on the Unicode mailing list, I somehow remember
seeing a mandatory limit on the length of a character's name.

Thanks.