Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 22:28:27 -0500

>> They would do the same as they currently do - except where an
>> inadvertant paren in C0 currently prevents the correct behaviour.
> In objective terms, which cases are those?
> Basically, I'm asking for a complete statement of the change
> in behavior you propose.  With that, we could see all of its
> consequences, the good ones and the bad ones.

Richard.  His changes's impacts are extremely minor.
More specifically the changes are limited as follows:
- only recognizing and skipping comments is affected.
- only when moving backward.
- only when there's an open-paren-in-column-0.
- only when that open paren is inside a string or a comment.
I can't imagine a single case where the change wouldn't be considered
a clear bugfix.

It does have also performance consequences (hopefully by eliminating
some pathological cases, without unduly slowing down the common case),
of course, but I don't think that's what you were worried about.

        Stefan