Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 22:00:18 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Cc: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 16:57:09 +0000
>>
>> I am working on this. My tutorial is now 480 lines long, so it may need
>> some pruning. I have buffers and files to do. My plan is to finish off
>> with Emacs packages, but getting users to install a new package from
>> ELPA.
>
> Isn't that a chicken-and-egg problem?  How can you have a tutorial
> that depends on enough knowledge needed to install ELPA packages?

No, it's fine. The idea is that the basic tutorial (part of Emacs
tarball) runs up to the point of installing an ELPA package. That ELPA
package in the first instance will just be something that says "well
done". In the second instance, the ELPA package can do something
funkier, but one step at a time.

Phil