Re: Need to modify src/epaths.in for custom prefix? (Was: Cleaner way to

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Need to modify src/epaths.in for custom prefix? (Was: Cleaner way to not build the ctags..)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:31:50 -0500

Thanks.

I reread the INSTALL document and turns out I do not need to use --datadir, etc as --prefix will set them all accordingly.

'prefix' doesn't give a path for any specific part of Emacs; instead,
its value is used to determine the defaults for all the
architecture-independent path variables - 'datadir',
'sharedstatedir', 'infodir', and 'mandir'.  Its default value is
'/usr/local'; the other variables add on 'lib' or 'man' to it
by default.

For example, suppose your site generally places GNU software
under '/usr/users/software/gnusoft' instead of '/usr/local'.
By including
   'prefix=/usr/users/software/gnusoft'
in the arguments to 'make', you can instruct the build process
to place all of the Emacs data files in the appropriate
directories under that path.

So for now I have removed the below from my build script

  sed -i 's|/usr/local|${MY_EMACS_INSTALL_DIR}|g' src/epaths.in

Emacs built just fine without that and elisp source navigation, etc. works just fine. I'm glad to take out that relic snippet from my build script. If I do need to add it again, I will revisit this thread.

Can you please comment on the requirement of

  sed -i 's|./configure|${MY_EMACS_CONFIGURE}|g'  GNUmakefile

(where the value of ${MY_EMACS_CONFIGURE} is

./configure --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/emacs-25 CPPFLAGS="-fgnu89-inline -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include" CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native" LDFLAGS="-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64" )

If I don't have that sed in place, my build fails with below and no Makefile is created:

checking for GifMakeMapObject in -lgif... no
checking for EGifPutExtensionLast in -lgif... no
checking for EGifPutExtensionLast in -lungif... no
configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
     libgif/libungif
Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
If you don't want to link with them give
     --with-gif=no
as options to configure
make: *** [Makefile] Error 1
build_info_fie: Undefined variable.