Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 20:49:40 +0200

On 03/09/2016 08:39 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Making vc-git-expanded-log-entry look for and show a corresponding entry
from the fixes file shouldn't be particularly hard.

But what about vc-print-log and vc-region-history?

vc-print-log - only if we make it use the same format as vc-print-root-log, which isn't not a terrible solution (it'll improve UI consistency).

vc-region-history - probably not, if we can't use the same approach for messages as above. Although we could hack something with jit-lock...

Doable in Elisp, yes, but how hard, and at what performance cost?

With the above caveats, not too hard, and shouldn't be too slow either.

Although if we could co-opt git notes after all, it would be even easier to just ask Git to show them together with commit messages. But that's something Someone should investigate.