Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 22:41:49 -0800

> Find a better and more reliable way of dealing with the problems described
> here, and I'll be the first to agree not to reintroduce ChangeLogs.

As far as I understand so far, we have only a few needs. If I've understood
incorrectly, please let me know, as this thread has wandered in a few places.

 1. We need a way to ensure quality commit messages from contributors.
 2. We'd like to be able to correct commit messages after the fact.
 3. We need a convenient way to both create and access this information.
 4. We want to publish the history of these commit messages in the tarball.

The ChangeLog file and its format are one implementation of these needs that
has worked over the years. Are you saying that if we move to something else,
and it fulfills these criteria, you'd be just as happy with it?