Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 00:45:08 +0200

On 03/08/2016 12:24 AM, Karl Fogel wrote:

I looked again -- who are these "many"?

ESR, Óscar, Andy. Maybe others.

(Andy Moreton suggested something about how we could have improved standards
about what we put in a change description in general, but that's different and
orthogonal to this discussion.)

Not necessarily improved, but different standards (see "actively harmful" in his message).

Well, one can just include that in the commit message.  My point is just that
if it's appropriate for a ChangeLog entry, then it's appropriate for a commit
message, and vice versa.  I mean, at least for my commits, the former have
always just been a literal copy of the latter, even when doing it manually :-).

How is this relevant? I was describing how the Change Log entries submitted together with a patch help reviewing it now. So of course I'm referring to the current practice, where the commit message includes the Change Log entry.