Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 09:12:45 -0800

Clément Pit--Claudel wrote:
Another issue is text wrapping: M-q on a docstring containing these escape
sequences will break lines in a way that will look ugly when viewing the
rendered docstring:

     "Use Greek capital letters (\u[GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA]
   \u[EN DASH]\u[GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA]) to denote figures."

will be rendered as

     "Use Greek capital letters (Α–
   Ω) to denote figures."

which isn't right.

I don't see a problem here. The original string should look something like this:

"Use Greek capital letters (\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA}\N{EN DASH}\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}) to denote figures."

and there's no space between the "DASH}" and the following "\N{GREEK" for M-q to latch onto. I just now tried M-q on the above string and it came up with:

(defun foo (abc)
  "Use Greek capital letters (\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA}\N{EN
  DASH}\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}) to denote figures."
  ...)

which should work OK if arbitrary white space is allowed between words inside \N{...} escapes.