Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:10:22 -0500

> Merely controlling the order of window display is no great feat.
> Determining window starts for these Follow Mode windows is the difficult
> bit.

If you con control the order, you can make sure the first follow-mode
window is rendered first, so you can set the window-start of the second
window before it gets rendered, etc...
IOW, controlling the order of window display lets you solve the issue of
determining the window-start for subsequent windows.

> Currently Follow Mode fights with the display engine to get what
> it needs, often resulting in delays of several tenths of a second in the
> subsequent redisplay operations after the first one.

That's why I'd hope that if you add a hook so follow-mode can tweak the
redisplay from inside, it should work much better.

        Stefan