Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 07:15:11 -0500

  > Not sure what to explain, to tell the truth.  What I had in mind is
  > cases like á, which I don't think any user of any language will ever
  > want to consider a non-decomposable character.

In French and Spanish, á is a decorated version of a.  Perhaps there
is no language in which á has any other status.

My point about decorated letters is that _in general_ the list of
decorated versions of letters is language-dependent.  For instance, ö
is a decorated o in English and French, but not in Swedish.  The
tables that define decorated letters need to be language-specific.

If it happens that all languages agree about á, that won't be a problem.

--
Dr Richard Stallman