Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 6bd9d69: Fix documentation of 'global-disable

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 6bd9d69: Fix documentation of 'global-disable-point-adjustment'
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:13:36 -0500

>> To me the difference between "sets" and "binds" is that the former
>> clearly means "setq" while the other can either mean "change it from
>> unbound to bound" or "let-binds".
>> So, I find "binds" to be less precise than "sets", hence my question:
>> Why did you replace "sets" with "binds"?
> Because that's how I tend to think about the act of giving a value to
> a variable in Emacs Lisp.

OK.  To me, the fact that disable-point-adjustment needs to be setq'd by
the command rather than let-bound is an important point (I'd expect this
to surprise many coders since the usual way for a command to affect the
behavior of Emacs "for this command only" is to let-bind a variable), so
I find the new wording to encourage confusion rather than trying to
avoid it.

But clearly you have a different opinion, and I honestly can't claim to
know better, especially when it comes to writing docs, so I'll shut up
now,

        Stefan