Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:57:54 -0500

  > > Please let's drop the idea of determining the folding behavior
  > > automatically from something in Unicide.  It is too rigid.

  > We don't determine the behavior from Unicode.  We use the Unicode data
  > to implement the behavior we consider useful.

What we have seen is that the behavior that comes from that Unicode
data does not please the users very much.  Users seem to have many
different ideas of what folding is useful, and disagree with each
other greatly.

We should not cling to the set of folding specs that happen to come
from that Unicode data.  Let's forget that Unicode data.

--
Dr Richard Stallman