Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 18:31:23 +0200

> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 14:28:40 +0800
> From: Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
>     If that database gives us all that, then I'm all for using that database
>     instead of creating our own, of course.  But why doesn't C-s o find ø,
>     and C-s l find ł then?
>
> Because under the Unicode decomposition rules, ø is not decomposable. I can't
> explain why that is the case (probably because there is no reason to have a
> combining /.

I asked the question about this on the Unicode mailing list, let's see
what we get in response.

> After all, the only languages that use ø are languages that use it as a
> character of its own).

Not sure what this means: how is the usage of ø in this regard
different from, say, ä?

> In the thread on the Unicode mailing list, the recommendation seems to be to
> use the CLDR (http://cldr.unicode.org/). Of course, this assumes there is a
> locale, but the choice of locale can easily be customisable (with the default
> being the user's locale).

Not locale, language.

> Another poster on the same thread mentioned that the CLDR doesn't go all the
> way, but adding a set of exceptions on top of it shouldn't be hard. In any
> case, the result would be significantly better than what is implemented now.

The last part is not yet clear to me, as this aspect was never
discussed in enough detail.  I have now asked explicitly about that.