Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 09:14:18 +0100

Elias Mårtenson writes:
> Because under the Unicode decomposition rules, ø is not decomposable. I
> can't explain why that is the case (probably because there is no reason to
> have a combining /. After all, the only languages that use ø are languages
> that use it as a character of its own).

AFAIK, for combining characters to be composable/decomposable the glyphs
must not overlap.  This is the same issue as with the polish »ł« to the
best of my knowledge.

In other words, unicode composition/decomposition rules tell you more
about the glyph construction than they do about useful strategies to
search for multiple characters.  The idea of using the base character of
the canonical decomposition in the search might still yield a useful
shortcut in most cases, but I'm not sure it is correct in all languages
even when that decomposition exists and, as the examples show, there are
cases where the non-decomposed character has to be treated specially.

Regards,
Achim.