Re: master 71783e9: Add the string-numeric-lessp function

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 71783e9: Add the string-numeric-lessp function
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 16:36:30 +1100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> There has to be a simple way to do that check...  hm...  I see that
> `string-to-number' uses strtoumax...  Hm...  perhaps I can rewrite this
> function to use that instead...

The code almost got simpler, even.  `string-numeric-lessp' now reverts
to calling `string-lessp' if any of the embedded numbers overflow
size_t.  I think that should be OK for any real world usages...  I mean,
even that could be fixed if we want to be really picky, but I'm not sure
it's worth it.

(The fix would be: If the numerical stretches are of unequal length,
then obviously the shorter one is smaller than the longer.  If they're
of equal length, then we can just compare the numerical stretches
lexicographically.  So we don't really really need to convert anything
to numbers, anyway...)