Re: [ELPA] New package: url-http-ntlm

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: url-http-ntlm
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 22:12:23 -0500

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> This package provides a NTLM handler for the URL package.
>
> What is an NTLM handler?  Could you offer a bit more context with this
> submission?  I'm not quite sure yet why it should be included...

NTLM is an authentication protocol [1].  Emacs has support for this
protocol in lisp/net/ntlm.el.  url-http-ntlm allows Emacs's url library
to use NTLM authentication in HTTP Authorization headers, so that Emacs
can authenticate over HTTP against servers that require NTLM
authentication.

url-http-ntlm is a requirement for Excorporate, which was approved for
inclusion in GNU ELPA a year ago [2], because Exchange servers require
NTLM authentication.

(I've spent the intervening year getting all the dependent bits of
functionality into their proper places, supporting users from my blog,
and working on a rewrite to use Org Mode to display calendar entries,
because Calfw isn't copyright-assigned to the FSF.)

Thomas

1. http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html
2. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-02/msg00482.html