Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:25:28 -0500

On 02/16/2016 08:38 AM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage, available at
http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

I'm concerned that the videos are mp4 videos. This format is not an open format, and it seems to me that to have videos using a patent encumbered proprietary format on the website promoting GNU Emacs is contrary to the goals and philosophy of free software. In my view, the only two acceptable video formats for use on a web page are Theora (ogg) and WebM. While WebM is the less desirable option of the two because of questions surrounding its openess and licensing, it was developed for the web, it does work in many browsers, and it probably works on Android since it is Google's baby. Fewer devices and browsers support Theora which is a real shame.

Scott Randby