Re: Gnus cleanup

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Gnus cleanup
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 19:50:45 -0500

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> In Emacs, we usually mark functions as obsolete for a few years before
> removing them, but I kinda feel like it's rather unlikely that there
> will be any other usages of gnus-window-inside-pixel-edges after I clean
> up the Gnus sources.

I'm someone who doesn't want to run emacs-current (because I want a
release), and I have some interest in running -current gnus, although
less so these days given how stable it is.  From my point of view, what
would be useful is retaining compat functions for the latest emacs 24
formal release, until emacs 25 is released.  I gather you don't want to
do that, but I think it would open up the ability to use current gnus to
a much wider audience for very little trouble, and that would help with
testing.

But, from where I sit, removing the compat functions from the gnus
sources within emacs-current doesn't hurt at all, once you are taking
out the calls to those functions.

It may be that there is almost nothing needed by gnus in emacs-25 not
available in emacs-24, or that there is some generic compat library to
provide the missing functions, and it will be easy enough to run emacs
24 with -current gnus.

I'll refrain from commenting on this in the future....

Sent from my Emacs 24.3.1