Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 20:20:31 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 13:05:19 +1100
>
> >> Again, it is not demonstrated by ERC.  ERC works fine with the new
> >> refactoring.
> >
> > I would like us to avoid the need for refactoring.  With my
> > suggestion, the refactoring would only be needed if the application
> > wants to take full advantage of the async DNS resolution, but it will
> > still work correctly (albeit with some delays) if no refactoring was
> > done.
>
> By "refactoring" I just mean "the rewrite of make_network_process that
> turned it from one 700-line soup of interconnected code into two 350
> line functions of less interconnected code".

I'm talking about refactoring in the applications that _use_
make-network-process.  It's their refactoring that I would like us to
avoid, if possible.  IOW, let the maintainers of those applications
decide how deeply they want to refactor, and at what time schedule,
instead of requiring them to make a binary all-or-nothing choice,
which might be a price that is too heavy for them to pay.  ("Them"
here might mean us as well: we do have in Emacs quite a few features
that build elaborate applications on top of network APIs.)