Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 15:05:05 +0100

On 2016-02-05, at 07:01, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> How do you even define "optical similarities"?
>
> Basically the same as Eli has described: Base character plus
> diacritics, probably plus some basic shapes with `diacritics' that
> Unicode doesn't represent as composable: o → ø, l → ł, d → đ, etc.

Just as another datapoint in discussion: for me, searching for "l" and
finding "ł" seems a bit weird.  (The opposite even more so.)  I admit
this might be nice for people without access to Polish keyboard, and in
fact the most popular layout for Polish keyboard is one where "AltGr +
l" stands for "ł", but they are really different letters, and similarly
with other such cases:

"łata" = "patch"
"lata" = "flies" (verb, as in "something flies")

"kąt" = "angle"
"kat" = "hangman"

Etc., etc.

BTW, strangely enough, here isearching for "l" does /not/ find "ł", but
isearching for "a" (with character folding on) finds "ą".  Whatever one
thinks about char folding, this is clearly a bug.

For Polish texts, I would rather turn char folding off.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University