Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 12:38:33 +1100

Alain Schneble <address@hidden> writes:

> On one hand, I see the practical approach with the 'dns async mode to
> circumvent these compatibility issues.  On the other hand, I don't think
> it's a good choice from a interface/usage point of view.  I think it is
> not clear for a user why she has to care about whether both async DNS
> and async socket connection or only the latter shall be used and why the
> process behavior is different.  This distinction only makes sense with
> the knowledge of how it's implemented internally, I think.

Perhaps 'dns is the wrong symbol to use for :nowait, since it isn't
really about DNS, but getting a fully asynchronous connection.  That is,
:nowait t gives us a fully set up socket, really (seen from the
application point of view).  Perhaps :nowait 'immediate or something
would make more sense than :nowait 'dns, which is, after all, just an
implementation detail.

> I guess changing the semantics of :nowait t, to say that clients shall
> not use the returned process before connection is established, is out of
> discussion, right?

Yes.