Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 504696d: Etags: yet another improvement in Ru

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 504696d: Etags: yet another improvement in Ruby tags
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 16:34:43 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 15:15:06 +0300
>
> > I don't see how: the file names that trigger recognition as a specific
> > language are part of the language-specific rules.
>
> I'd think we could mostly rely on the fact that the general facility
> works, and you haven't made a typo in Ruby_filenames or Ruby_suffixes.

Well, I almost surrendered to relying on such stuff when I added
"Rakefile" and "Thorfile", and almost expected to see the same boring
output when I tried that.  It didn't, which is how the bug fixed in
f6213ce was discovered.  Which fits my general experience: there are
no tests one can dismiss, every good test will always find some
problem.

> If you could write unit tests for etags code, you could have some for
> the "detect language" function. Full-on integration tests, again, seem
> like an overkill to me.

I could agree with that, but we are a long way from having a unit test
suite for Emacs.