Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 09:36:47 -0800

On 02/04/2016 08:54 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Emacs is a multilingual environment, so any assumption that
the main language in every buffer, or even in most buffers, is likely
to be the locale's language will misfire.

True, but although Emacs is designed to be language-agnostic when handling buffer text, that doesn't mean it should be designed to be language-agnostic when handling user input. If Emacs starts up in a language-X locale, its user probably will be more comfortable using language-X rules for searching, even if the main language in a buffer is language Y. As an English-speaker when I search Swedish texts by hand, I normally want to use English-like rules because English is what I know and I can't really read the Swedish anyway. In English we tend to consider accents unimportant when searching, and because we treat “naïve” like “naive” we also treat “Ångström” like “Angstrom” even though the latter is not correct in Swedish.