Re: Suggestion to have highlight related bindings consistent between sea

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Suggestion to have highlight related bindings consistent between search-map and hi-lock-map
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 20:45:19 +0000

Hi Juri,

Thanks for mentioning that this bindings topic still needs to be resolved in the other debbugs thread ( http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22520 ).

Here are my reasons to remove the "C-x w" map:
- The bindings are inconsistent between the "M-s h" and "C-s w" maps.
- In addition to confusion, the bindings are also duplicated in two prefix maps.
- Also if we remove this prefix map today, we will have lesser number of disappointed users than when and if it is removed in the future.

Here is the piece from earlier in this thread where I compared the inconsistent bindings (the line numbers can be ignored as they might not be the same today):

hi-lock.el 277: (define-key map "\C-xwi" 'hi-lock-find-patterns)
bindings.el 935: (define-key search-map "hf" 'hi-lock-find-patterns)

hi-lock.el 282: (define-key map "\C-xwr" 'unhighlight-regexp)
bindings.el 934: (define-key search-map "hu" 'unhighlight-regexp)

hi-lock.el 280: (define-key map "\C-xwh" 'highlight-regexp)
bindings.el 930: (define-key search-map "hr" 'highlight-regexp)

hi-lock.el 283: (define-key map "\C-xwb" 'hi-lock-write-interactive-patterns)
bindings.el 936: (define-key search-map "hw" 'hi-lock-write-interactive-patterns)

The source of this discussion is because I kept getting confused if I need to do "M-s h r" or "C-x w r" to highlight a regexp. So after a point, I bound C-x w to nil to solve the problem.

That made me think that this topic should also be brought up in this thread and have this fixed directly in the source.

Kaushal