Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 09:30:56 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:03:12 +0900
>
> Although what I am discussing here is strictly related to current input
> systems and not to a the new capability that Richard desires, I think the
> bigger issue here is first discoverability and then input method.
>
> turkish-postfix offers discoverability for "i". chinese-py offers
> discoverability for all its characters (presumably), neither latin-1-postfix
> not latin-1-prefix offer any sort of discoverability and also lack
> predictability (why does /e= œ but /E=Æ ?, also, when you shift to
> french-prefix you actually do not get all the characters that you could
> possibly type in French - ±÷ªº¥°½¾¼ etc. - even though french should be a
> subset of latin-1, with the exception of œ/Œ.)
>
> Then there is the input method when you have discovered the character you
> want to enter. I personally think that offering 2 options when possible
> (composing character *and* digit) is the best. Composing characters, and in
> the case of chinese-py we can argue that letters *are* composing characters
> for all practical purposes, are available for characters that are input
> frequently by a given user, and digits are there to input the occasional
> character. There is no logical need to not have a digit based input for
> composed characters.

Yes, the area of input methods in Emacs needs some long-term loving
care.  They only rarely get any attention, so most methods stay as
they were submitted years ago, and some are no longer up-to-date with
the changes in people expectations.

Would you like to work on making the Emacs input methods better?

Thanks.