Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 18:14:21 +0200

> From: handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 00:51:10 +0900
>
> In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Perhaps Handa-san could comment on the reasons for this design in
> > 'quail-get-translations': why does it show the list of possible
> > translations only sometimes?  Is it just an optimization?
>
> The deference is that an input method is determinitic or
> non-deterministic.
>
> Most input methods are deterministic, i.e. the defined key sequence
> reaches to a target character (or a string), but Chinese input methods
> are not deterministic, i.e. the defined key sequence reaches only to a
> group of candidate characters.  A user has to select one of them by arrow
> keys or by an index number.  So, for such an input method, showing
> candidate characters is mandatory.

So you are saying that the candidates are shown only when selection is
done by typing a digit?

Can we add an optional feature where the candidates will be shown even
in deterministic input methods, although the way to choose the
candidates is not by typing a digit?  For example:

or something similar?

Thanks.