Re: make project--find-in-file generic, add interactive filename to proj

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: make project--find-in-file generic, add interactive filename to project-find-file
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:03:55 -0500

>> I think you missed in the text you quoted above the fact that I said
>> "allow users to replace this function".  I do not intend this alternative
>> behavior to be the default.
> Maybe I missed it, yes. You said "introduce new functions", not "new
> customization points", though.

The main purpose of the new functions would be to improve the handing of
DEFAULT and encourage coders to use it.  IIUC the way we handle default
didn't exist when completing-read was first defined, which is why it's
hidden so far down the list of optional arguments.

It so happens that it would also provide good customization points, yes.

> But can't we already do that with completing-read-function?  Its contract
> imposes no conditions on the presentation.

We can, yes, but completing-read will receive a prompt string which
sometimes includes the default and would then have to try and find it to
remove it from there (if the customized UI wants to put default as
initial input instead).  This can't be done cleanly and reliably currently.
[ The same problem affects minibuffer-electric-default-mode, of course.  ]

        Stefan