RE: Entering Unicode characters

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 09:37:31 -0800 (PST)

> It seems that what Richard wants is something like Microsoft Word's
> character insertion modal window. See
> http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/images/SpecChars2.gif for an example.
>
> You select a subset of characters in a character set (e.g. Greek
> letters) and are shown a modal window with visual representations of all
> the characters. You can then choose a character to insert into the
> document.
>
> In Emacs, of course, we don't have modal windows, but we can have
> buffers that display the characters line-by-line.

Yes.  It is the choosing of a subset (e.g. by language or other
category) that is currently missing, in particular.  Add that and
you can use `apu.el' for the display, choosing chars to insert,
get more info about, etc.

`apu.el' has a few ways to filter characters now, but filtering by
language etc. would be helpful.  And as Eli has mentioned before
(off list), better (quicker) than filtering the Unicode set would
be constructing only the needed subset.

Anyway, you can play with `apu.el', to see what it offers now.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AproposUnicode   ; Description
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/apu.el  ; Code