Re: Update of pcase docs for the elisp manual

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Update of pcase docs for the elisp manual
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 08:59:42 -0800

> I updated the docs, thanks to both of you. I used your text, John, and also
> Michael's pcase-guide.el as the starting points, source of inspiration and
> examples, and sometimes source of swaths of text as well. I also used what
> was already in the manual. The end result, for which I accept full
> responsibility (although you are named as co-authors), is in the repository;
> please take a look and comment, modify, and improve as appropriate. In
> particular, the UPattern example needs to be improved as the comment there
> says, please do so if you have time.

Thanks Eli, just two questions from me:

  - Is there any way we can get rid of the phrases QPattern and UPattern?
    There's decades of prior literature on pattern matching in functional
    languages, and none of them use "QPattern" and "UPattern". We're inventing
    terms that make no sense at all to newcomers, except for the single-letter
    correspondence with "quoted" and "unquoted". What if we just call them
    "quoted patterns" and "unquoted patterns", if that is what we mean?

    I still vote for "literal" and "logical", since a literal pattern matches
    by literally being the same value as the input, while a logical pattern
    matches due to the logic of the pattern.

  - The docs say "UPatterns are simpler, so we describe them first." Don't
    UPatterns represent the entire complexity of `pcase'? How are they
    simpler?