Re: Next release from master

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 12:06:38 -0800

> If this does not fit how Emacs development works, OK. Its just an idea, and
> I though worth consideration. I think Emacs has always been great software,
> and I certainly don't want to adversely effect that.

Hi Barry, I like your suggestion, and in fact it's what I'm more used to, but
we also must choose a methodology that works for the Emacs developers. Since a
few people have expressed the feeling that a 3-branch system would create
inertia for them, we'll stick with a 2-branch system (plus feature branches)
until it becomes an issue.

It's still an open question whether we should be using emacs-X+master, or
master+next, though. Our current activity is something of an experiment in
that regard, since in my experience (having gotten used to "next" branches), I
was unfamiliar with a 'master' that is periodically frozen with respect to
feature work.