Re: split-window-right doesn't work with wide margins

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: split-window-right doesn't work with wide margins
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:31:26 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20 2016, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
> Now we have two choices: Either we do count margins in this function.
> Then ‘split-window’ will fail as indicated in this report.  Or we do not
> count them.  Then we will have to automatically cut margins down as we
> did previously.

May I ask what the rationale for this change of behaviour was? (I
scanned the thread discussing your patch but I didn't see any mention of
it.)

>  This will, however, affect user-set margins that are
> _not_ continuously refreshed via a hook.

Does that happen? Users setting window margins, I mean?

> No.  ‘split-window-preferred-function’ only affects ‘display-buffer’.
> It does not affect ‘split-window’.  I attached a possible solution which
> is far from ideal.  I hope you get the idea.  A similar solution would
> be needed for ‘split-window-preferred-function’.  Essentially you would
> have to rewrite ‘split-window-sensibly’ with a reset/restore mechanism
> around the (window-splittable-p window t) and (split-window-right)
> forms.  Slightly more tricky ...

I'll take a closer look at it next week, when I have more time.

> Sooner or later we should find a way to dynamically insert some stretch
> space on the left and right of a window body without affecting the value
> of ‘window-margins’.

Yes, that would be ideal.

--
Joost Kremers