Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f8208b6: Document the user-level features of

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f8208b6: Document the user-level features of the Xref package
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 23:32:29 +0300

On 01/21/2016 10:01 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

I think we should move more towards relying on "project" commands for
operations on sets of files; xref is then mostly a tool that project
commands use.

Another way to look at this is that any xref backend should also provide
a project backend, so the two sets of commands always operate on the
same set of files.

I would state it like this: most projects that provide an xref backend, should provide a project backend as well, or at least set project-vc-external-roots-function. The reverse is probably also true.

The main exceptions are simplistic backends, for languages without strong tooling.

I thought about having xref.el depend on project.el (by, say, passing the current project to xref-backend-functions), but I'm less confident in the user-facing parts of project.el than in xref commands.

So it would make a more-stable facility depend on a less-stable one, unfortunately.