Re: Next release from master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 05:36:33 +0200

> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:45:45 -0800
>
> >> I'd be happy with switching to a less-like release scheme and
> >> incrementing a single number. Do minor releases even make sense anymore?
> >
> > I think so. If we only increment major numbers, there is no sense of when
> > big
> > things happen, and or how much one should expect APIs to change between
> > releases.
>
> We try to keep APIs backward-compatible anyway though. In a
> single-number, time-based release system, we'd just announce that we're
> deprecating some API, and some time later, actually do it.

For the developers, the numbering scheme is much less important than
the distinction between a bugfix and a feature releases, IMO.

We should also not forget the users and the downstream package
maintainers, perhaps the numbering scheme means something to them.  We
should consider that if we think to change the numbering.

In any case I think this is a very minor issue, so we should think
twice before starting another bike-shedding thread about that.