Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:10:56 -0500

> On Jan 18, 2016, at 20:59, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 01/19/2016 04:44 AM, Ken Raeburn wrote:
>
>> Try removing the after-load-functions hook in loadup.el that invokes GC, and
>> the explicit GC calls.
>
> That brings the loading time down to ~4.8 seconds.
>
>> Also maybe bump up gc-cons-threshold by an order of magnitude.
>
> And that doesn't seem any appreciable effect here.

Huh.  Disappointing.  When I was poking at CANNOT_DUMP startup time about a
year ago, I seem to recall that these helped, but I don’t remember how much.  A
couple other things though:

* Since you (presumably) didn’t configure with CANNOT_DUMP, temacs may still be
making “pure” copies of objects.  But I just tried rebuilding with CANNOT_DUMP,
and temacs aborted in bidi_initialize; I’m guessing it wants to use something
initialized by Lisp code that hasn’t run yet.

* If you’re on a Mac, loading elisp is extra slow, thanks to getc() calling
mutex functions that are very slow (at least compared to the glibc versions); I
tried out a workaround using getc_unlocked, which seemed to help a lot.

Ken